Montana Trip

Sarah and I just returned from a five-day trip to Montana we took to attend my brother's wedding reception. We had not visited the state together for several years, so I was eager to show her some of my favorite places in my hometown of Butte and my college town of Missoula. Here are some highlights:

Mountains and mines northeast of Butte

My grandmother planted this blue spruce when I was born. Every time I visit Butte, I check on her old house to see how tall the tree has grown.

After leaving Butte, we drove to the Lee Metcalf National Wildlife Refuge in the Bitterroot Valley. As usual, Canada Geese were nesting in old Osprey nests.

I scooped up a green drake mayfly newly emerged from the Bitterroot River.

A day later, we toured the National Bison Range and the Mission Valley.

We saw adult bulls and cows...

and teenaged buffalo, but no recently born calves, which we had hoped for.

We did see antelope (on the ridgetop) and plenty of birds, however, so the trip was a big success.

I can't wait for the next trip to Montana when I can show Sarah some of the locations and animals we missed this week.

Comments

  1. Wonderful scenery. Don't those goslings have a long drop to the ground from the osprey nest?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts