Fishing in Montana, then and now

Last week I briefly visited my hometown of Butte, MT to fish for trout and family history. I hoped to claim some family photographs and genealogical information while helping my father prepare for a move.

We uncovered some great images of Butte in its industrial heyday (photo above circa 1905), as well as old family fishing photos from the Big Hole River.

Here is my dapper great-grandfather Ison with three rainbows. This photo was taken in the late-1920s or the early 1930s.

My great-grandmother Ellen (who I have fuzzy memories of) with a trout of her own.


Here is a view of Maidenrock, one of my favorite camping and fishing sites on the river.

On Saturday, my father and I fished the Big Hole near Thompson's corner.

I landed a grayling (pictured above), several small rainbow trout, and a rainbow-cutthroat hybrid. As always, I wished I had more time to fish, but it was good to keep the family traditions alive, if only for one day.

Comments

  1. What a great post, and pictures. I've only lived in butte since '95, and love seeing old pictures of the place.
    Thanks,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treasure trove of pics--I'll forward your link to local fishing friends. Glad you had a good day on the river, too. Ever poke around the old fish hatchery site at Maidenrock?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts