Wild Arts Loon

   The Audubon Society of Portland's Wild Arts Festival is one of many things I look forward to in the fall.


I love contributing to the festival each year by completing a small painting for their 6 x 6 fundraiser.
This year I decided to create a Red-throated Loon, one of my favorite birds to watch in foggy coastal waters.

In winter plumage, the Red-throated Loon is a study in minimalism with its mostly white head sparingly patterned with black streaks.

In constructing my piece, I decided to run with the minimalism thing.


I took inspiration from a story I heard on NPR that described huge concrete sculptures created by Donald Judd in Marfa, Texas.  I removed the cloth from the donated canvas and painted the wood frame gray.


 I used my scroll saw to cut a Red-throated's silhouette out of a cedar shingle and I painted it white.


I inserted my loon in the frame so it could be visible from both sides. I left some space in the middle so outside items can become part of the piece.


I can't wait to see how it looks on display at the Arts Festival in November!

Comments

  1. Cool! I removed my canvas too. I think I'm going to try staining the frame and adhering a photo. Uncharted territory, so I hope it turns out okay. I like your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Max! Thanks for reminding me to go. I've had on the back burner for years a project in which I paint my bathroom in Common Loon, gigantic portions of it all over, the necklace here, the chest there, back spots, and somewhere, a bright red eye.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts