Return to Nebraska


One week ago, I returned home from a great trip to central Nebraska. I spent most of the time at a conference center in Kearney, but I had many hours to bird before my flights home on Sunday afternoon.

After checking out of my motel, I walked east for several miles parallel to Interstate 80, then crossed the highway to view hundreds of Sandhill Cranes landing, dancing, and foraging in a farmer's field.

Nine years ago, I trapped cranes for the US Geological Survey nearby along the Platte River. It was nice to watch them again, without the pressure to catch a daily quota.

After viewing the cranes, I turned north and walked along a road that was surrounded by a gigantic cornfield. I among the stubble, I saw Snow Geese, Canada Geese, Cackling Geese, and a few more cranes.
After my walk, a snowstorm blew in and delayed a couple of my flights. After seemingly endless hours of waiting, I finally returned to Portland at 11:00 pm.

Nebraska Bird List:

Pied-billed Grebe
Great Blue Heron
Red-tailed Hawk
Bald Eagle
Mute Swan
Snow Goose
White-fronted Goose
Canada Goose
Cackling Goose
Mallard
Northern Pintail
Wood Duck
Gadwall
Redhead
Ring-necked Duck
Lesser Scaup
Bufflehead
Ring-billed Gull
Sandhill Crane
Killdeer
Mourning Dove
Eurasian Collared Dove
Rock Pigeon
Belted Kingfisher
Northern Flicker
Downy Woodpecker
Eastern Phoebe
American Robin
Eastern Bluebird
European Starling
Brown Creeper
Northern Cardinal
Dark-eyed Junco
Song Sparrow
American Tree Sparrow
Red-winged Blackbird
House Finch
House Sparrow

Comments

  1. Truly one of the avian wonders of the world. We often see them in the summer and the fall staying overnight in Grand Island. This is on our way to and back from visiting the Grandkids in Greeley, Colorado.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts