Missoula visit 2012

 
 I visited Missoula, Montana over Labor Day Weekend to watch a football game, catch some trout, and patronize the downtown watering holes. It had been 10 years since I last fished the area's rivers, so this trip had been on my mind for several months.  


 
My friend Bill picked me up at the airport on Thursday and we drove straight to the Big Blackfoot River. 


The river was pretty low and warm, but I was able to pull some little rainbows and cutthroats from the edges of deep riffles.  


The trout were on the small side, but I was not complaining. 


A day later, we tried the Clark Fork River at Kelly Island. 


The fishing was even slower than on the Blackfoot, but the birdwatching was great. Lewis's Woodpeckers hawked insects from the cottonwoods and huge flocks of Cedar Waxwings filled the smoky sky.   


Now that I have achieved my annual Montana fix, I am ready to get back to work on my Oregon-based projects.

Comments

  1. Very scenic. That one trout you photographed is the size of the only trout I have caught in my entire life--so well done!


    It must be nice to fish with Lewis' Woodpecker's around you, too bad there aren't Clark's Nutcrackers too : )

    Any big Montana raptors soaring on the thermals up there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If raptors were soaring high, I could not see them through the wildfire smoke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made the blog!! Had a great time Max. We will have to do it again shortly

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts