Sunday, December 18, 2011

Solstice Season Prep

As the shortest day of the year approaches, we are almost ready for the celebrations that will follow.

During the last two weeks, I carved, sanded, and painted some new ornaments for our tree, inspired by creatures from Oregon and New Mexico:

a common kingsnake in the foreground and a sockeye salmon in the background

a glossy snake


a quillback rockfish


a tiger rockfish


a spawning chum salmon


This morning, I visited our local Farmers Market to pick up some contributions to holiday meals.

The winter offerings included this slice of orange-fleshed squash

and a fabulously fractal cauliflower.

Another day of gift-finding, a few more days of work, and I will be ready to cook, relax, and enjoy the season.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not much interested in receiving gifts, but if someone gave me that cauliflower, I'd take it somewhere and roll in it, or something. Man.

    ReplyDelete